Monday, May 4, 2009

12 MONTHS TO GO

Happy times....base training is a thing of the past and from this week on it is full blast ahead. I Will be in a building phase until the end of October later this year. Because the building phase is so long and strenuous, I will build two weeks and rest one. From November to Feb 2010 will be very tough and long with March being my taper month.

Starting wit time trials and power work this week, I am very happy with where I am. I am running very easy and I actually have to purposely slow myself down on the LSD runs (long slow distance)! I have changed my running shoe brand from Asics to Zoot. It is a very light shoe at a much better price. The only thing I have to get used to is the fact that it is a 'bare foot' shoe - no socks! therefore I am currently only doing short runs in the shoe of up to a max of about 9k's. It really feels weird running sock less, but I will get into the feel of it soon.
I luckily don't have to run alone anymore since my 11 year old son is training with me! It sounds funny, but he is actually much faster than I am.....I am actually holding him back! He does the mid week training with me but my weekend long runs he only does between 50-70% of my distances. Boy, what a future he has!

Regarding the cycling, I am only ticking the km's over. This week I start with a 20k TT once a week, and a few power sessions once a week. Nothing serious, just to get the time trial muscles back in action.

The swimming is a pain in the butt. The pool at my gym hast dipped bellow 20C with the same old lame excuses thrown back at us. It is very cold, especially swimming at 5 in the morning. But, I will persevere and push through....happy times are always not too far ahead!! The distances are short, max 1,5k's per session. I am really focusing on swimming faster and getting my body to cope with the higher speed. I thing I have gotten into a rhythm of slow swimming and I will up the pace just a little while the distances are still short.

The gym work steadily picks up and I no longer feel as tired as two weeks ago. From this week Wessel will swim and gym with me, making it less lonely.

Have a beautiful week and keep Tweeting!!

Regards,

The Jackal

No comments: