Tuesday, June 9, 2009

EQUIPMENT


Equipment in our world is extremely expensive. Especially if one is looking at becoming competitive on national or international level. As soon as athletes start training for 30 hours or more per week for 5 years or longer, then the differences in their performance become very very small. Advantages are then looked for in faster wet suits, a more aerodynamic bike and even in lighter running shoes. The problems are that the companies manufacturing these products spend millions in perfecting a possible world leading product...with us the poor amateurs 'sponsoring' the development cost and big profits they make in the process.

The question is this: Does the 3 minutes I save in total Ironman time through the usage of these products over and above the cheaper products make a difference in my position? Unless it is a sprint for a podium spot, then obviously not. But what drives us to spending these tens of thousands of hard earned bucks? Well, I suppose it can be that it is our passion and that it is not much different from the guy who spends all he has on new golf clubs! Or a local racer spending all he has to enter a few rally races. Or even the man at the shooting range blasting away at a few coloured circles looking hazy through the rising heat waves.

Whatever it is doesn't matter as long as it stays fun and realistic. As with anything in life the little word 'balance' pops up. ANYTHING can be wrong without balance. Wine! Chips! Sweets! Relaxing! Name it.

I can probably do a very similar time by using cheaper equipment, but why feel crap doing something you love!! Some time ago I spent bucks on two new pairs of running shoes, but I've been battling with them ever since! They give me blisters, they hurt my right foot and they squeak when they get whet!! But, I love how they feel and I really hope that my body will adapt to them asap. I do not want to go back to my heavy, lazy shoes...no!

I ride an old Scott Plasma tt bike and I love that bike. It is very light and fast and I will ride it for the next two years to come. It is comfortable for me and although it isn't as 'cool' on the eyes as some other machines, it still gets the job done!! I must say, when my friend Johan Stemmet gets his new P4 I will want to be one of the first to touch it...what a beautiful piece of carbon!

My wet suit is an Orca and it is about two models back. I know nothing about wet suits so I will say this: it is tight, it makes me chafe around the neck and it is a pain in the butt to put on and take of. Need I say more?? I don't like the stuff, but they do make you swim faster...much faster! I will most certainly not buy a new one until this one gets torn or gets stolen.

Give some feedback below regarding your equipment...we will enjoy your thoughts.

I love my sport for it is tough, yes very tough. Cold weeks like we have now makes it even harder than is necessary! Equipment? It must be the most beautiful in the world, for sure. But, it is the muscles and the blood that make it move...and that is what counts in the end!

Last week I was sick. Missed 7 days of training, but I think it was a wise choice to do nothing. I recovered in full and started again in full.

All the best with your week. Remember: Be strong and live hard!!

TriJackal

4 comments:

Johan Stemmet said...

Hi Jakkals
As they say "The machine doesn't make the man".
I guess one can go as fast with old equipment as with new ones, but the better gear won't let me win an IM but it can be the difference between a 5H09 bike and a 5h02 bike. As you said the important thing is not to loose it and just buy stuff because it's new on the market. First do your research and if it is working for others why not let it work for you.

And last but not least if I buy something new it makes me feel better and maybe in my mind it makes me believe that I am going faster and by that I enjoy what I do even more
Skillie

RobbyRicc said...

In my mind equipment isn't that important in the big picture. But if you're looking to find some free speed, throwing money at the problem might help.

I ride a Cannondale Ironman bike which gets me around the course in about 5.50. Buying a P4 would probably help me go faster because I'd train harder (to justify the expense), be more aero, more comfy for the run and have the P4 placebo effect. I guess in total I could save about 20 minutes as an age grouper.

But, and this is the real question, can I convince the wife?

Love your work,
Rob

Bryan said...

I agree with everything you said. I'm on my 3rd bike in 20 years and it was always tough to buy a new one, it felt like I was cheating on the old one, although I'd never get rid of or sell the old ones, they are now family heirlooms. Twenty years ago Mark Allen and Dave Scott set Ironman times that very few can beat today and they were on very old equipment. It just shows that equipment isn't everything.

Hope your feeling better.

TriJackal said...

Thanks for the feedback you guys. I think that it boils down to having the hours put in on the road, bike and in the pool. This makes you a winner and the equipment is there to give you the winning 'edge' focussing on the little edge! But, it certainly makes us look and feel like champs!!

TriJackal