Monday, January 16, 2023

The first week - 500 Days

We exited 2022 with a memorable party, playing beer pong and loud music, drinking some fine whisky and wine. Probably much more than what health advisors would recommend, that's for sure! Just before midnight Jolene made us some coffee and I asked for a double tot of Jack Daniels with mine, as I knew my journey would be a long one. As I started sipping on the hot joy, we realized that the countdown to midnight has begun, and just before they shouted ‘happy new year’, I took one last sip and flicked the full cup of coffee mix out on the grass. A waste I know, but such was my seriousness with not cheating even in the most insignificant way. 


The 5-day fast:

The following morning I wasn't feeling too well, a hangover to kill a bull was fighting me. I just had to wait on father time to deal with it as I was not to consume anything. I started my 5 days without any food or drinks, only water. I jumped on the scale and it clockedd me at 95.4kg or around 210 lbs. 

It was a cloudy day and we just cleaned around the house a bit and watched some movies. Later the afternoon we took the dogs for a 3km walk, as one if the rules are to train for 500 consecutive days for at least 30 minutes. 

I had to take some before pictures, which look a bit shitty taking in account the crap physical shape I am in. I will post them nonetheless because they will look very different in a few weeks. 

Just to show in what bad shape I was for the last few years, here is my blood pressure:

Any doctor would certainly faint to see how reckless a life I was living. I was putting everything on the line with this challenge, and I want to see if I could turn my health around by just healthy living, eating and exercise. The day went okay and the hunger wasn't too bad. I was drinking my electrolytes (salt, potassium chloride, bicarb of soda and Epsom salts) mixed with 2 liters of water. 

Ons day two I woke up at 5am and was a bit tired as I battled to fall asleep. I was feeling much better and the hangover was something of the past. I was feeling hungry and just sat outside when the others were cooking. I went out wearing just short pants, and on a lovely sunny day, I got great sun exposure 15 minutes front and 15 minutes back. I did my 3km walk and weighed in at 91.5kg, 3.1kg down. 

Day 3 I was feeling very energetic and I felt great. I mowed the lawn, cut down some tree branches, went for my 3km walk and got my tan in. I weighed in at 90.6kg, 4.8kg down. 

On day 4 I was a bit nauseous, could have been from alcohol withdrawal, but nonetheless I wasn't too concerned. I completed my training and vit D reload. I broke through the 90kg barrier with 89.5kg, 4.8kg down. 

The last day of fasting has arrived and my mind started playing it's games. I knew I was going to eat the next day and oh boy I was suffering! My energy levels were really low. I nebulized with saline as I do every day. Did my training, unfortunately it was cloudy and had no sun exposure. My weight was 88.4kg, 7kg down. 

Then day 6 came! Eating time! I really battled to fall asleep during the fasting phase, hopefully it will improve within the following days. I did my walk although it was raining, lovely!

With the re-feed I gave myself a 6-hour eating window. I didn't want to just shove down a lot of food as my intestines were totally empty and they had to start up again slowly. I had some cheddar cheese which I chew until it was totally liquid before swallowing. Then I wanted an hour and had some scrambled eggs. I felt very good and my stomach comfortable. Three hours later I had ox liver with green beans and spinach. I was a happy man. 

The last day of the first week has arrived. Food is amazing and I was feeling revitalized. Now I was on a one meal a day eating plan, with only one hour within which I could eat. 

Food: 18:00 mealtime. Pork chop, two eggs, green beans with garlic, tomato + cucumber salad with double cream plain yogurt + apple cider vinegar. 


I did a 5.4km walk. Here are the weeks training:


I will from now on only post my weight weekly. Here are the before/after pics for week one:



All in all it was a tough, yet very successful week!

 

No comments: